NOTICE: The Literacy Program Office is currently closed.
However, we are conducting classes ONLINE through SKYPE for current students.
Thank you for your interest in the Literacy Program. We offer courses in adult basic literacy, English as a second language (ESL), citizenship, and high school equivalency.
We are an accredited member of ProLiteracy and an affiliate of LiteracyNJ.
If you would like to join our community of lifelong learners, please make sure you fulfill all our registration requirements:
Welcome to the first step of your journey to improve your adult life here in Jersey City.
Our classes and services for adults are now offered online.
Our main registration periods include: Fall Semester registration from July to August and Spring Semester registration from January to mid-February.
*Completing this preregistration form does NOT guarantee enrollment.*
*Students cannot choose the day and time of their classes. Students are grouped by TEST LEVEL.*
To complete the entire registration process and attend classes, you must download and install SKYPE (go to https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/ and create a FREE account now) to communicate with staff members, volunteers, tutors, and class members.
There is a five-step process for registration which includes:
- Completion of this PRE-REGISTRATION form (will not be open until August 3) for staff review. Our main registration periods include: Fall Semester registration from July to August and Spring Semester registration from January to mid-February. Please NOTE: Registration will open for ESL and Citizenship programs on August 3, 2020 for the Fall 2020 semester. Adult Basic Literacy and High School Equivalency to be announced.
- Photo ID: NJ Driver’s License, NJ State-Issued ID, or Passport
- Proof of Address in Jersey City: Cell Phone Service Bill, Utility Bill, Lease, Evidence of Property Ownership, or Evidence of Tenancy/Residency
- Complete Proof of Annual Household Income: Income Tax Return, W-2 Form, Three Recent Pay Stubs, Disability, Family First, Unemployment, Retirement Benefits, or a Letter of Benefits/Support. The document(s) must clearly state a gross amount for the year or an amount we can calculate for the year.
- SKYPE INTERVIEW & FULL INTAKE
After you send an email with your SKYPE ID and ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTS, we will discuss a date and time for your interview provided your documentation is clear, complete, and correct. If you speak very little English, you will need someone with you who can translate from English to your native language. This interview can take up to two hours. On average, it takes about one hour to complete. Our goal during the interview is to confirm documentation information and complete a full registration form.
- ONLINE TEST
After completion of the interview and full registration form in step 3, you will be required to take a test online. This test is the main determiner for your class schedule because we group students by test score. No student will be able to specify a specific day or time to take classes.
- ORIENTATION: Attend an online orientation.
After all five steps are complete, we will send you an email with your SKYPE class schedule.
Current Students: We have plenty of online resources for our current students on our course materials website HERE.
Welcome to the first step of your journey to teach adults here in Jersey City.
Our classes and services are now offered online through SKYPE. These classes include: basic literacy, English, math, citizenship, and high school equivalency courses.
To teach classes and communicate with staff members, you must download and install SKYPE (go to https://www.skype.com/en/get-skype/ and create a FREE account now) to communicate with staff members, other volunteer tutors, and students.
In this process, you will have to:
- Complete the PRE-REGISTRATION FORM (currently down). Please NOTE: New Volunteer Tutor Registration will be on hold, until further notice.
- After we have received your completed pre-registration form online and your email with an updated resume, our Unit Head will contact you with further instructions. Be prepared to: take an online training ($25.00), fill-out additional forms (Full Tutor Intake Form) and download additional conferencing apps.
To provide one-on-one and small group literacy instruction to adult learners who want to improve their lives.
Adult learners will improve their literacy skills and obtain high school diplomas, obtain better jobs, or become United States citizens.
We believe that an individual’s literacy is critical to the enjoyment and protection of political, economic, and social freedoms, which support our democratic society.
The Jersey City Literacy Program is a department of the Jersey City Free Public Library, 472 Jersey Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07302. The Jersey City Free Public Library was incorporated in 1989. The Jersey City Literacy Program was founded in 1986 by the Board of Trustees for the purpose of providing basic literacy instruction to individuals who had little to no literacy skills. Literacy trainers provide training to volunteers who express an interest in helping adults improve their lives.
Thank you for supporting the Jersey City Library Literacy Program with your donation! Donate by clicking here.
Tax-deductible contributions may be made in accordance with Sections 170(c)(1) and 170(c)(2)(A) of the Internal Revenue Code, as well as Section 10(c)(2)(B).