Our patrons are always at the heart of what we do at the Jersey City Free Public Library. We provide basic literacy instruction to individuals who need more literacy skills, taught by a passionate team of trained professionals and staff.
|Fall Semester Registration:||July and August|
|Spring Semester Registration:||December and January|
- English Language Acquisition Classes (ESL)
- Civics and Citizenship Classes (USCIS)
- Reading Help (Adult Basic Literacy)
- High School Equivalency (GED)
Every course comes with full support through:
Please review the linked PDFs for registration information.
Income documentation must be recent and must present the entire annual household income in US Dollars (USD) for everyone living at your New Jersey address. There is no limit to the income your entire household makes, but it must be proven with official documentation regardless of the amount.
- English Language Acquisition (ESL) is our program for adult, non-native speakers who want to improve their English reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills.
- Citizenship classes are for adult green card holders who want to become US citizens and need extra help to prepare for their US citizenship test and interview. (Requires a good English test score).
- Reading help classes are for adult, native English speakers who need to improve their literacy skills.
- High School Equivalency (GED) classes are for adults who need to obtain a high school diploma.
Current students (students who have taken classes within the past school year) are required to update all document information once (or more) during the school year and complete forms to re-register on Skype. We have plenty of online resources for our current students on a our course materials website:
Please note: If you do not have any experience in teaching or tutoring, you will be required to complete an online training from Intakes to Outcomes:
All tutors will be given instructions on using Skype (used for communication, updates, classes, etc.) and Google Sheets (used for reporting attendance and goals met).
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any other questions:
The Adult Literacy Program is fueled by the collective communication and enthusiasm of our students, instructors, and staff in our Skype community.
By improving their English and basic literacy education, our students will be able to obtain jobs and apply to community colleges or technical programs that would lead to greater opportunities since we focus on the practical application of skills in the real world.
The Jersey City Free Public Library Adult Literacy Program is an award-winning affiliate of LiteracyNJ and an accredited member of ProLiteracy, which provides meaningful instruction to adult learners. It is regarded highly by program leaders in the adult literacy network in New Jersey because of our outstanding service to students for 30+ years. Our instruction is on par with the local community college. Our volunteer instructors and staff are well trained and they care deeply about our learners. We do not offer simple language classes. We provide high-quality instruction that enables adult learners to function in society. We are very proud of the services we offer and the achievements our students have achieved over the years.
Please wait while flipbook is loading. For more related info, FAQs and issues please refer to DearFlip WordPress Flipbook Plugin Help documentation.