The Press Room
Michele M. Dupey, MLIS
Public Information Officer
Jersey City Free Public Library
472 Jersey Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07302
Jersey City Library Receives $1,500...
Jersey City Library Receives $1,500 as part of the NJ State Library Distribution ofBristol-Myers-Squibb Anti-Trust Settlement Grant
JERSEY CITY, N.J. October 11, 2013 – Who wouldn’t like an additional $1,500 to spend?
The Jersey City Free Public Library found itself in that position when fielding a request by the
New Jersey State Library to apply for the settlement funds from the Bristol-Myers-Squibb anti-trust lawsuit.
According to Deputy State Librarian Kathleen Moeller-Peiffer of the New Jersey State Library, “These funds became available based upon a settlement reached by numerous State Attorneys General against Bristol-Myers-Squibb. A cash settlement was made to the State of New Jersey in the amount of $157,690.81. After consultation with the New Jersey State Library, the New Jersey Division of Criminal Justice submitted a proposed New Jersey distribution plan, which was approved by the Court and which provides that program to eligible public libraries for the purchase of books or other durable materials relating to the treatment, diagnosis and greater understanding of ovarian cancer, breast cancer, Kaposi’s Sarcoma and non-small cell lung cancer.
October 2013 at the Jersey City Free Public Library
Next Library Board Meeting
Tuesday, October 8, 2013 @ 5:30 p.m.
Glenn D. Cunningham Branch Library
275 Martin Luther King Drive
Jersey City, NJ 07305
* Bonetti Children’s Room, Main Library, 1st Floor, 472 Jersey Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07302, 201-547-4519 – For Children (Grades 5-8): Book Discussion Group. / “7 Weeks of Book Discussion Fun!” Join in reading and discussing a good book. / Every Thursday & Friday, from 3:30 – 4:30 p.m. / Beginning: Thursday, October 3 /
Ending: Friday, November 15. / Registration required.
* Biblioteca Criolla, Main Library, 4th Floor, 472 Jersey Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07302, 201-547-4541 –Para Niños: ¡¡¡En celebración del Mes del la Herencia Hispana!!! Martes @ 10:30 a.m. / Octubre 1: Centos Folclóricos, Canciones y Poesia / Octubre 8: Centos Folclóricos, Canciones y Juegos / Octubre 15: Centos Folclóricos, Canciones y Manualidades Por favor registrarse. / Para Niños: ¡¡¡Celebración de la Cosecha!!! Martes @ 10:30 a.m. / Octubre 29: La Maga, Ms. Bonnie. Por favor registrarse.
* Biblioteca Criolla, Main Library, 4th Floor, 472 Jersey Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07302, 201-547-4541 – For Children: Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month!!! Tuesdays @ 10:30 a.m. / October 1: Latin American Folktales, Songs & Poetry / October 8: Latin American Folktales, Songs & Games / October 15: Latin American Folktales, Songs & Crafts / Please register. / For Children: Harvest Celebration!!! Tuesday @ 10:30 a.m. October 29: Bonnie the Magic Lady. / Please register.
* Federal Documents, Main Library, 4th Floor, Jersey City, NJ 07305, 201-547-4517 – For Adults:
Naturalization and Citizenship Information Session. / For: Legal Permanent Residents (“Green Card” holders) and others interested in the official naturalization and citizenship process. / Presented by: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. / Tuesday, October 1 @ 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. / Please RSVP. Seating is limited. Light refreshments.
September 2013 at the Jersey City Free Public Library
Next Library Board Meeting in September
Tuesday, September 10, 2013 @ 5:30 p.m.
Five Corners Branch Library
678 Newark Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07306
Save the Date!!! Jersey City’s Book Festival, Tales of Our Cities 2013:
Tales of Our Cities 2013 – For Everyone: Sunday, September 15th – from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. / 6th Annual Book Festival in Jersey City’s lushly beautiful, Victorian… Van Vorst Park / FREE!!! / Featuring: Rick Stromoski, creator of comic strip, Soup to Nutz; former NBA basketball player Luther Wright, author of his memoir, A Perfect Fit; Bill O’Dea, HC Freeholder & author of The Legacy of Haguesville; and Steve Hart, author of American Dictators: A Dual Biography of Frank Hague & Nucky Johnson (of HBO’s Boardwalk Empire fame, which uses the last name of Thompson, instead).
Save the Date!!! LIBRARY FOUNDATION FUNDRAISER, Endless Summer:
Library Foundation Celebrates the “Endless Summer” with its September 19 Fundraiser
JERSEY CITY, N.J. August 14, 2013 – Ah… Extending the Summer…always a child’s thought of relaxation and fun that continues into adulthood.
The Jersey City Free Public Library Foundation seeks to satisfy that child’s whim with a bit of its own whimsy… The Endless Summer, a fundraiser at P.J. Ryan’s, 292 Barrow Street in Downtown Jersey City, on Thursday evening, September 19, from 6 to 10 p.m.
Book Author Outreach Deadline
Last Updated on Wednesday, 10 July 2013 10:15 Wednesday, 10 July 2013 10:11
Book Author Outreach for Tales of Our Cities 2013 Deadline Fast Approaching: Friday, August 2
JERSEY CITY, N.J. July 9, 2013 – What’s a book festival without authors?!
Though a steady stream of writers has applied to present at Tales of Our Cities 2013, it is clear more children’s book authors are needed to round out the program.
Tales of Our Cities 2013, the sixth annual book festival presented by the Jersey City Free Public Library, will be held on Sunday, September 15, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., in the lush gardens of Van Vorst Park, a Victorian oasis next to the Main Library in Jersey City (corner of Montgomery Street and Jersey Avenue).
“The book festival exists to celebrate writers and promote reading in Jersey City,” said festival coordinator and Assistant Library Director Sonia Araujo. “We welcome authors of all genres – fiction, non-fiction, mysteries, local history, poetry, spoken word, and of course, children’s books.”
The application deadline for all participants – authors, vendors, sponsors and performers – is Friday, August 2. For application, please go to the library website, Tales of Our Cities link: http://www.jclibrary.org/resources/6th-annual-jersey-city-library-book-festival
For the latest on programs, events, and special announcements please follow the Library on Facebook or Twitter at Jersey City Free Public Library. Visit us on the web at www.jclibrary.org for all information on the Library, including all press releases in The Press Room. As of today, July, 9, 2013, the Jersey City Free Public Library has 229,039 valid card members.
- Miller Branch Presents Play Written & Directed by Former Member of Kool & The Gang
- Registration Begins Saturday, June 1st for the Jersey City Library 2013 Summer Reading Program
- JUNE 2013 Library Board Meeting to be RESCHEDULED
- Check Out the Book & Bibliography Displays at The Main Library & 9 Branches
Page 3 of 12«StartPrev12345678910NextEnd»